Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Morning Pages

I’ve been gone a few days … I went to find my mind and have returned with some of it.


Since January I have been doing something I’d like to recommend. The idea comes from a book called, “The Artist’s Way”, by Julia Cameron. She describes a daily discipline [don’t drop this and run; it’s just a word] she likes to call, “Morning Pages”.

Every day, no matter what comes her way or how she feels, she sits down and writes for a certain amount of time. She writes about anything that pops into her head. This is where I got interested. I could do that, for a limited amount of time.

There are no rules to this sort of writing, which is one reason I’ve been able to keep it up myself.

No rules. That appeals to me. Partly because I hate rules unless I’ve made them. Mostly because much of what I need to write/say/express should not be seen by human eyes, according to me.

Sometimes I feel angry. I’m so angry that the things I write would make some of your eyes bleed.

Sometimes I write some things that could make you want to get high to forget you read about them.

Sometimes I feel cursed. Sometimes I think the curse of death is like my daily bread. The things I write about that subject might make you want to run the other way for fear of catching death, if that was possible.

To inspire you to consider “Morning Pages” I’ve included my first entry:

January 31, 2010
Write something. What?
Sophie just watched her first McGee and me – Take Me out Of the Ballgame. Now she’s brought her pillow over to the table, laid her head down on it and is sucking her thumb.
Nope, she’s gone in to lay down on her bed.
Nope, she’s up again.
Ah, the energy of an 8 year old.
We just finished her mom’s key chain (the one with the soccer ball and white plastic beads)
Now I should go take a shower and get her ready to take home.
I need caffiene, I think.

Sorry, that's the only entry you get to see. Some of the others might make you want to call the Catholic Church and have me excommunicated. I’m not even Catholic.

I chose to encrypt mine. If you want to write your notes on a computer and encrypt them, consider this tip: decide on a password then write it down somewhere so you can refer to it until you know it well. Encryption is like a modern day diary key that actually works! But, unless you are a computer hacker, you will not be able to get into your own file without that password.

So, there you have it. Another blah blah log … I hope you’re inspired!

3 comments:

  1. Been doing this very thing every day since November 3rd, 1999 and sporadically a few years before. It's a blessing, a curse and tangible ledger of your sins that is sure to haunt you, hurt you and possibly one day save you. Keep it up...trust me. If I have done one right thing over the past 11 years it is this. Good luck and get ready to be enlightened even if you didn't want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A song called "Never Comes the Day" from the album 'On The Threshold of A Dream' by the Moody Blues comes this lyric...

    "If only you knew what's inside of me now, You wouldn't want to know me somehow..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, thank you for sharing... I will try it!

    ReplyDelete